DIRECTOR OF COLLEGE COUNSELING
STARTING AUGUST 2023
Position Overview. Christchurch School seeks a full-time Assistant/Associate Director of College Counseling to work with, and assist, the Director of College Counseling. We are looking for people who foster an inclusive workplace built on equitable policies and procedures, and who are also able to engage a diverse team of co-workers and students. This position will work with a caseload of students in their junior and senior years and is expected to engage actively in the Christchurch School community in support of our students. This includes contributing to the residential boarding program and acting as advisor to a small group of students. It is also customary for full-time faculty to contribute to the co-curricular program for two out of three seasons. This is an exempt 10-month faculty employee reporting to the Director of College Counseling.
- Assist the Director of College Counseling in designing and implementing a program for students and families to counsel them through the college admissions process.
- Provide individualized expert advice on the college search, standardized testing, course selection and financial aid.
- Write detailed and compelling letters of recommendation for senior students and coordinate the delivery of application materials to colleges (approx. caseload of 30-35 seniors).
- Cultivate and sustain relationships with college reps, including hosting them on our campus.
- Support student athletes through the recruitment process in collaboration with school coaches.
- Be willing to engage in professional development to stay abreast of the evolving trends in college admissions, visit college campuses and attend conferences as appropriate.
- Contribute to the vibrant life of a busy boarding/day school by acting as advisor to a small group of students and performing evening and weekend duty on a rotating basis throughout the year.
- Contribute to the co-curricular program e.g. by coaching two out of three seasons (other opportunities include Model United Nations, drama, robotics etc.).
- Manage other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; prior experience in college admissions, either as a high school counselor or college admission officer is preferred.
- Candidates should be realistic and excited about the challenges and rewards of working with students who have a wide variety of learning styles and ability levels, and with living in a boarding school.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Strong technology skills and proficiency with programs like Scoir, Slate, the Common Application, NCAA Initial Eligibility Center, and FAFSA/CSS Profile.
- Sailing or Soccer coaching experience a plus
- Ability to work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods.
- Ability to be mobile around campus and buildings.
- Fast-paced, small boarding and day school
- Some travel required
Equal Employment Opportunity: The School is an equal opportunity employer. The School provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and job applicants without regard to an individual’s race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions including lactation, age, disability, genetic information or any other factor prohibited by applicable law. All aspects of personnel management – including hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, recruitment, layoff, discipline, termination, compensation, benefits, training and working conditions – will be administered in accordance with this policy. Each employee is expected to do their part to maintain a working environment free of discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
Conditional Offers: An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law.
Compensation & Benefits: Christchurch School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this full-time position with benefits to include excellent health plan options, retirement benefits, professional development, and networking opportunities.
Please submit an electronic resume and a letter of interest directly to Wesley M. Charlton, Associate Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org