Ed Smith, Class of 1933, attended Christchurch from the fall of 1927 until graduation in 1933.
After graduation from Christchurch Ed attended Randolph-Macon College, Virginia Military Institute and the University of Virginia. Thereafter, he earned a law degree from National Law School (now part of George Washington University.) He served in the army’s Chemical Corps during World War II and later in the Air Force Reserved, retiring as a Major. He began his law practice in Arlington, Virginia and was also a partner in a residential and commercial real estate management firm and served on several boards.
Indications of the numerous ways Ed served others are found in his commitment to the Episcopal Church’s outreach. He was a trustee of Church Schools and Virginia Theological Seminary. He served as chairman of the boards of the Virginia Diocesan Home and of Goodwin House, which Ed was also instrumental in founding.
During the second half of the 80’s decade, Ed employed his positions on the Church School Board and the Christchurch School’s Foundation to facilitate the renovation and restoration efforts for Christchurch. In addition to placing his reputation on the line, Ed gave his time talent and resources. In addition to his countless generous gifts, Ed purchased two homes contiguous to the Christchurch School campus along on the river for the school to be used as faculty homes.
Ed Smith was a member of the leadership generation in the Commonwealth of Virginia who dedicated themselves to service of others, as such, his outreach extended far beyond Christchurch School.