Thank you to all who appplied.
APPLICATIONS AND REFERENCES ARE NOW CLOSED.
We had an overwhelming response and will be contacting everyone soon. It will be difficult selecting the group this year with so many worthy applicants.
Good Luck to you all.
Summer Camps on the River is seeking committed and motivated teens, ages 14-16 to participate in the leadership in training program. These one to five week sessions are designed to prepare teens to become effective leaders by developing skills in teamwork, communication, safety, planning, and teaching. This training will prepare you not only for summer camp positions, but also give you real world skills to help you become a leader in school and the community.
As an LIT, you will be exposed to different elements of leadership including group dynamics, child development, teamwork, and peer development. Working with younger campers, LITs are placed with seasoned staff while they participate in aiding supervision, setting up developmentally appropriate activities and, of course, setting a good example by engaging themselves in the camp activities and having fun with their groups.
Meeting regularly with their mentor, campers will discuss various leadership topics as well as their personal experiences with the group. Many LIT will go on to be prefects, team captains, group leaders at their schools, and counselors at Summer Camps on the River.
LITs go home every weekend.
Placement requires a separate application, interview, and camp director approval.
- LITs must be ages 14-16 by June 1, 2018
- June 22 - 30, 2018, training and week one, is required
- LITs may choose to come as many additional weeks as they would like, July 1 - 28, 2018
- Requires some level of sailing experience or a strong interest in learning and assisting with the sailing program - though we may consider candidates for Off-water roles as well.
- Maximum number of LITs is 8, 4 boys and 4 girls
- Applications accepted January 1 - 31, 2018
- The program requires an application and interview with a camp director
- Decision messages will go out within 2 weeks of the interview
- Fee: $250 for training and week one; $200 for each additional week
- Assist on hall with basic care of campers
- Assist in program areas throughout the day and evening
- Assist in the dining hall - pouring water and serving meals
- First Aid & CPR certification
- Waterfront safety course
- Sessions in leadership, interpersonal skills, mediation, awareness, curriculum design and more
- Hands on experience working with younger children
- LITs are prepared for future leadership roles
- Be 14-16 years of age as of June 1, 2018
- Have attended at least one summer at Summer Camps on the River
- Be eager to work with children and peers at all hours
- Be willing to commit their time and energy toward becoming an excellent team member
- Be positive and cooperative and have a pleasant disposition
2017 LIT Selection Process
- LIT applications and references will be accepted through January 31, 2018
- Interviews will be conducted by phone or in person no later than February 28, 2018
- Notifications will be sent by e-mail no later than March 7, 2018
- Select sessions to attend and register online no later than April 1, 2018
- Payment, and medical forms must be submitted by June 1, 2018
- LITs and parents will receive an information packet with camp details in May.
- LITs arrive on June 23, 2018 for a two-day training
- Additional training will occur on the job and in weekly “LIT only” sessions
LIT Application - DEADLINE PASSED
(hard copies available on request)
LIT Reference Form - DEADLINE PASSED
(hard copies available on request)
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org